Saturday, March 11, 2017

Pancake Saturday

Somehow, Saturday's have become the day when I make pancakes for my husband and I.
My attempt at being a domestic goddess, which couldn't be further from the truth.

This ritual brings back many happy childhood memories of when my Grandfather would make pancakes for my sister and I. My Grandfather had a massive sweet tooth, which did not pair well with his diabetes!  He used to make the best pancakes. Mouthfuls of sweet, crispy, buttery goodness topped with lashings of whatever topping you could think of. Usually, it was ice-cream. The pancakes were not just a weekend breakfast treat either, they were enjoyed any time of the day. When we were home sick from school with a cold, they often became our lunch, deliciously naughty.

A colleague once expressed to me " It's impossible for a child to be sad when their grandparents make them pancakes on a Sunday." It's true, there is something about this ritual that brings a sense of warmth, love and comfort.

My pancakes I make today are a slightly healthier version of my Grandfather's; protein pancakes topped with cottage cheese and berries instead of ice cream. But they still bring back the good memories.

11 comments:

  1. My experiments with healthier pancakes failed. I tried switching for oatmeal or buckwheat flour but the kids preferred the traditional ones with white flour. Still finding ways to make the pancakes healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite pancakes now is relatively healthy as well. Here's the recipe: One banana mashed, one egg, and a tablespoon or so of flour. That makes about 4-6 small pancakes. It's better to remix the same three again than to double it. They don't really taste like bananas that much, but are loaded with potassium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally made me think of my Aunt Alva's pancakes...buttery, fluffy, and as big as my head! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of how a certain food can evoke a feeling. For me it's my grandmother's Swedish pancakes. Hers were so thin, my brother used to say, they only had one side. And oh the syrup piled with confectioners sugar, swimming in butter we used to drown them in! Enjoy your delicious Saturday memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of how a certain food can evoke a feeling. For me it's my grandmother's Swedish pancakes. Hers were so thin, my brother used to say, they only had one side. And oh the syrup piled with confectioners sugar, swimming in butter we used to drown them in! Enjoy your delicious Saturday memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rituals around food....there is something about that. When all the kids were in the house, we had waffles every Sunday for brunch. Not too long ago, the adult kids long on their own would call and say.....Are you having waffles? Thanks for sharing. I love that the tradition is multi-generational. I never gave it much thought that my kids may continue the ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At our house, it was chocolate chip pancakes. And my 30 plus year old son still asks for them when he's home. I love that you had those pancakes for lunch when you were sick - deliciously naughty indeed!l

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!! Every Saturday morning, we have chocolate chip pancakes. I look forward to them all week. It's the small things that can make our days :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post makes me hungry for pancakes. I love them! Isn't it funny how food brings back memories?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the way your pancakes can bring back so many wonderful memories of your childhood and your grandfather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leah, my mouth waters reading and dreaming about those crispy on the edges, slathered with butter and sweet toppinged fluffy pancakes. Yum! Thanks for sharing this sweet memory, and I'm glad you are keeping the tradition alive.

    We have a bit of a pancake culture in our home too.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete